Thursday, January 8, 2009

What a Wedding Means to Us

The past few years have brought a lot of trials, tears and smiles.

In the spring of 2006 my parents decided to take a trip to Hawaii and relax. My father, who is very active, was taking a surfing lesson. As he came back on shore, he mentioned to my mom he wasn't feeling well, and then collapsed. Thankfully there were lifeguards at the beach that administered CPR; my father had a severe heart attack and the only reason he is still with us today is because of the lifeguards (I send many thanks and happy thoughts to those that helped). He was MEDVAC'd to the Big Island for Intensive Care and surgery. I can not tell you the thoughts that go through your head when you get a call from a parent, and the news is grim - I do not wish this on anyone, and if you have experienced this, I am sorry and my heart goes out to you. My main thought was "I can't lose my father, there is still so much to do and share with him." He pulled through, and started to recover slowly. My family thought we were free and clear for a little while, but less than a year later, my father surprised us again.

In October of 2007 we were alerted to the fact that my father would have to under-go open heart surgery to replace a valve that had been slowly quitting on him. He had been in and out of the hospital that fall, and Mr. B was planning the engagement so that my father could enjoy the happy news from the comforts of home, and not in the hospital. The week after our engagement, my father went under for surgery. Thankfully, he pulled through again and has started to recover.

Again we thought we were doing well, and bad news would stay away, but in the Spring of 2008, Mr. B's mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I am happy to say that she is a survivor. She is a brave, strong, and a wonderful woman; I am lucky to have her as my future Mother In Law.

After having scares, tears, and fears the past couple of years, it makes a person realize what is most important in this life, and to enjoy it to the fullest. Sometimes it is difficult to do, but Mr. B and I do try to enjoy our friends, family and each other everyday.

Even though the last few years were emotionally tough, we have had joys as well! Not only do we have 2 nephews on Mr. B's side, we were blessed with a niece from my brother this fall. The 3 kids bring so much love, joy, and laughter to our lives! We look forward to watching them grow, learn and become amazing people.

With all the trials we have endured we recognize that our wedding is not only the celebration of the two of us, but it is the celebration of life. We at first didn't want a large wedding, (as I previously wrote), but then we realized that the wedding is the perfect place to celebrate with people who touch our lives, share our joys, and our sorrows. The celebration is not only one of Mr. B and I getting married, but a celebration of life.

No comments: