Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dress Shopping # 2 and #3

My BM Miss G came to visit in January last year and we went dress shopping. She is probably the most honest person when it comes to clothing and what does and does not work.

The store we went to was highly recommended and some of my Boston friends had gotten their dresses there. It was a good experience and I tried on a lot of different dresses. One thing I did not like was the fact I couldn’t pick out the dresses myself; they were all in the storage room and the assistant would pull them out.

Miss G and I had fun. We laughed at some dresses, thought some were pretty but all-in-all none of them created that WOW factor, so we left.

Then my mom came out in February and we went for round 3. This was just a horrible experience. Remember my first dress shopping experience? The sales lady was so nice and made me feel good about myself because the dress samples were small, and wouldn't fit? Well, this experience was the complete opposite.

Before I tried on any of the dresses she would say something to the effect of:
  • "Nope, this one won't fit you."
  • "Don't think we can zip this one up."
  • "No, this one won't work either, it is too small."

My mom and I are pretty level headed, however, we both wanted to slap this woman! Of course the sample size isn't going to fit me, but do you have to say it for every dress? Apparently she did.

Then one of the other sales associates had me try on a beautiful gown which was her favorite. I liked it, I thought it was beautiful. However, she added that she had just sold 2 of these dresses, yesterday. I am a bride who doesn't mind sharing certain aspects of a wedding; the venue, the church, etc. However, I don't want to feel like the dress I want is going to be all over the place and everyone is going to have it, or see another bride in the same dress. I want to be unique and different, I want to be the only one in my gown. Her comment made that decision easy, so we left.

No comments: