Thursday, January 8, 2009

A dash, a stab, and a swimsuit

Filene’s Running of the Brides - a tradition that started in Boston. I had always wanted to go and see it, just to experience the craziness.

I decided that this was my chance. I recruited a few good friends, and my mom flew out from Colorado for it. It was a fun, tiring and successful day!

The running of the brides is typically held at Filene's basement but they were going through renovations so they moved it to the Hynes Convention Center. A lot of brides started to line up at 3 AM (we weren't that crazy) and it was snowing. We found out the inside doors to the convention center opened at 7 AM and the dress doors at 8 AM. That schedule made our meeting time easy.

We met at the Hynes at about 7:15 am - which was perfect - we didn't have to wait outside in the cold at all - and we weren't the LAST in line (but we were way back there). At one point an event person was telling everyone they are moving the line up a little, but the doors are not opening. I guess they didn't want everyone running and rushing the doors, causing mass chaos.




Then the line started to move, and it started to pick up pace - once we hit the open doors - you saw LOTS of empty racks - there were 3000 gowns to start with and they were off the racks in 60 seconds! My team was great - they hit the open floor and started to run, trying to find any dress. They had my mom and I stay in one place, holding everyone's coats. Then the serious business started. Dresses started to appear from nowhere. Many weren't my size or style, but we could use them for trading. Without knowing what we were getting into you learn really fast! There is trading, bargaining and bartering with anyone who might have your bride's size- I heard it was pretty civil, but there was some stealing going on!




I found this process actually really great. You put on a dress, the dress either fits or it doesn't - making the decision very easy. If it fits you have your team look at you, and give an honest opinion, you don't have time to be nice, there is no time. Honesty comes out, which I love. So we narrowed it down to 4 dresses to try again. I had a runner-up, and then two of my teammates saw a girl trying on a dress that they figured could be "it". They stalked her and waited to see if she wanted it... she took it off, gave it to them, and they forced me to try it on (I was pretty sure that I was good with the runner-up). But they made me and I am glad they did!

It ended up being the one I got! My mom started to cry, my future in-laws started to cry, I was crying - everyone was crying.... So it was IT - then everyone cheers! And the other groups around you cheer! It was a really cool experience. And (I am going to share as I love this!), when we were checking out the buyer for this event was there and looked at the dress - the tag said it was $1500 and up - so we asked what she thought the price would have been. The buyer quoted us "at least $2500"... and we got it for $250 - we lost a ZERO!!!!! The price isn't the only great thing, the dress is discontinued, no longer even on websites, so I am the only one I know that has this dress - I am unique!


My team leaving; it was a success!



All in all it was a great experience! I recommend it to anyone~ and I would love to be a helper next time - let me steal some dresses. :0)

Oh, the girl who originally had my dress ended up with one of my top 4 dresses - so it all works.


My wonderful team; they were so competitive!



The shirts I made for my team; if you have seen the Friends episode then you know what this means!




Here is a link to Boston.com's photos (below) and I have attached a few as well. Thank you again to everyone who helped make this day wonderful - it is an experience I will never forget! I look forward to seeing everyone soon!

Boston.com link:
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/weddings/gallery/running_of_brides_2008/

No comments: